Gingivitis causes irritation, redness, and swelling of the gingiva (gums). It is the early and reversible stage of gum disease, but if you ignore its treatment the condition can worsen and turn more severe. Periodontitis is a severe gum disease that can lead to tooth loss and other serious oral health issues.
Monterey gum disease treatment at Perio & Implant Center helps to eliminate the bacterial infection. If ignored the bacteria build-up on your teeth and damage the soft tissues only to worsen your oral health. Understanding the underlying causes of gingivitis and exploring the available treatment options is crucial in managing and preventing this oral health condition.
Underlying Causes of Gingivitis:
- Plaque Accumulation: In gingivitis there is the accumulation of plaque on the teeth and along the gumline. Food debris, saliva, and bacteria combines to form a sticky film on the teeth called ‘Plaque’, which hardens and turns into ‘Tar-tar’. Improper oral hygiene can cause plaque and tartar build-up on your teeth, which aggravates the gums.
- Poor Oral Hygiene: Gingivitis is caused due to improper brushing or infrequent flossing or neglecting mouthwash. If you don’t clean the plaque and tartar regularly, it can build-up and trigger gum inflammation.
- Tobacco Use: Tobacco damages your immune system, which hinders blood circulation to your mouth. Therefore, it becomes hard to fight the bacterial infection in your gums.
- Certain Health Conditions: Chronic medical conditions like diabetes and autoimmune syndromes make your immune system defenseless, which increases the risk of gum infection.
- Malnutrition: A diet that lacks essential nutrients, particularly vitamin C compromises your body’s ability to repair and maintain healthy gum tissue, which increases the jeopardy of gingivitis.
Treatment Options for Gingivitis:
- Improving Oral Hygiene: It is crucial to maintain good oral hygiene routine. So, ensure –
- To brush your teeth in the morning and at night before going to bed.
- Floss daily to remove plaque and debris from between the teeth and gums
- Use mouthwash to reduce bacteria in the mouth
- Professional Dental Cleaning: Dental professionals at Monterey can perform thorough cleanings, known as scaling. This process removes the plaque and tartar build-up from above and below your gumline. Thus, the root source of inflammation is eliminated, which allows your gums to heal freely.
- Lifestyle Changes: Some changes in your lifestyle can help in gum disease healing.
- Avoid tobacco use
- Maintain a balanced diet with adequate nutrition, especially vitamin C
- Eat less sugary food
- Regular Dental Checkups: Regular dental visits are essential for early detection and timely treatment of gingivitis. Dentists can monitor the condition of the gums, provide professional cleaning, and offer personalized advice on oral care.
Gingivitis is an avoidable oral health condition connected with multiple underlying causes. Early intervention from professional dentist is crucial to avoid the progression of gingivitis into more severe periodontal disease and maintain healthy gums and teeth throughout your life.